Friday, September 18, 2009

So(a)phisticated Telly

                The moment I switched on the television yesterday, a promo of a new soap opera (mega serial) was in play. This was during another soap aired between the commercials. I realized that it had been a decade since this serial marked its debut. Gosh! Think of 5 days a week for full 10 years. The director should have been abundantly talented to have hooked the whole of one state and keep them engrossed. May be we should look at the flip side of that coin. People have been living a decadent life of excessive obsession on soaps J. This indicates their consent to be fooled, mocked by and enabling the television studios and directors to thrive on staple concepts to rake in the moolah.

One of the successful directors of soaps did try his hand in wielding the megaphone with barrage of reviews notwithstanding, packed the movie with verbiage and handing visitation to patrons of the movie, if there was ever one. His vicissitude deterred the aspiring directors riding on the small screen bandwagon to follow his footsteps thereby showering mercy to the celluloid.

Briefly put, the 1 liner of all soaps would be women empowerment and there could never be a bigger goof up. The characters sketched and portrayed would make the modern day women cringe. Thinking of serials, I could recall few ranting I was subjected to witness albeit I wasn’t interested. To list a few:

(a)    Having completed one of my class X board exams, I was duly welcomed home by my granny with abuses directed toward the “Fit for nothing” villain who could have easily stolen the “Worst actor of the year” award trying his best to emote. However he did get his acknowledgement for his performance from my granny.
(b)   It was during one of the festivities at the temple did I hear the rumbling of 2 old women comparing notes on how the artists were performing and the direction where the story was headed concluding that a status quo was being maintained for the last 6 months.. gaw........
(c)    A one soap experienced artist reprised a small role of hero’s sidekick in celluloid and a group of women in the theatre seated in the row in front started referring by his debut screen name and reiterated how bad he is. (Note: not was.)

                I can only wonder why these enactments are taken seriously and discussed/dissected and spoil the mood surrounding them. A word of caution to those portraying archetypical villainy, stay indoors and do not get caught in the midst of ever emotionally empathizing viewers of your own soaps for they are more virulent than you appear to be on screen and gleefully ostracize you.

                It hath been my own volition or rather men’s nature that we aren’t glued to these serials. Back from the past, I am fortunate enough that I haven’t been interacting with people who consume serials as elixir for the last few years but I promise I have no notion that the situation would have improved and we have 2500+ episodes to second my opinion. When would this era end? Possibly not for another decade I suppose. 

8 comments:

Raghunath said...

First & foremost your English is awesome. Though it is bit complex to read and make myself understand, your standard of writing posts in English really amazes me sometimes. Keep going.

Good thought and I agree it will go for another decade atleast. Lot of blockbuster serials are there in 'Q'waiting to get their timeslots in one or another channel.

Sudarsan said...

worst thing they occupy the space till 11 PM

Anonymous said...

@Raghunath: English is awesome. No I think he is trying to over doing it. Couple of his previous post was good. But now I feel sorry for the author, for he is trying to gain publicity over English than the content. Most bloggers do this mistake. He is just another overexerting publicity slump.
@Sudharsan: Sorry but since your post is labeled as “Thinking Loud” I am compelled to say this. Bitter truth is you are what I mean you are.
But on the contrary your story on football kid was good. Coz it had content in it. Despite the fact that you tried to overdo you English. :-)

Sudarsan said...

Hi Anonymous, thanks for being frank and you hit the truth. I am trying to overdo things to attract few comments. :). Just wanted to have fun and since Raghu being my friend would never give the same opinion even if he had one. I am sure everybody shares the same opinion as you(including me)

the Guru said...

Mate. I dint read the post fully, neither I could understand it,had i read it fully too. Need to refer wordweb thrice atleast in every sentence so gave it up. following the other comments, I came to know this s a very good blog. Gr8, Enjoy

Sudarsan said...

As mentioned earlier, this was just a gimmick - a publicity stunt. :)

Shaju's Kitchen!!! said...

Hey Sudarshan, Great blogging man. Keep up the good work ...you r doing a great job !!! Dont be demotivated by the carpings that you get...Just use them to polish ur dexterious skills. Your blog is very ingenious and interesting. I started following your blog only bcoz of ur excellent vocabulary. THe more you write, the more ive learnt from them ... so keep it going Boss!!!

Shajini

Sudarsan said...

Hey Shajini, thanks. I like it better when I get criticized so am not going to mind that.

Keep it ticking