Monday, June 15, 2009

The Devilish Al



I watched the Al Pacino/Keanu Reeves/Charlize Theron starrer Devil’s Advocate last Wednesday and what a movie it was. Rating given at the IMDB website was around 7.2 but that didn’t deter me from watching a Pacino movie. I am a self confessed Pacino fan and probably what I write might be a bit biased but definitely can’t help that.
It is always going to be a monstrous effort to share the screen space with geniuses but with Al at his devilish best, it could no more be a litmus test for Keanu. To be fair to Keanu, he didn’t do a bad job either given the challenge but avoiding comparisons is inevitable. It is all the way a Keanu’s show until the last half hour with Al filling in and out but the final scenes where Keanu confronts Al; it was a display of a master at work. I didn’t keep counting but I would have watched the last half hour for a dozen times since.
People are not called Geniuses just like that and to supplement the theory, Al has 7 academy awards nominations and a win. An actor needs a right platform to display his armory which I believe was provided in Godfather and there was no turning back for this devil.
Once the movie gets over, what remains at the viewer’s heart would the portrayal of “Satan” by Al and won’t you call that mesmerizing. To recall a quote from the scene where Al boasts of himself to Keanu, “Who, in their right frame of mind Kevin could possibly deny the 20th century was entirely mine.” That may be from the Satan’s standpoint but I would ask “Who in their right frame of mind could possibly deny the last quarter of the 20th century was, though not entirely but to a considerable percentage Pacino’s.” Mind you, I forewarned me being a Pacino fanatic.
Vanity……. is definitely my favorite sin.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Naan kadasiya paartha english padam 'Sholay' inga ;-))

Dei, english grammar is nice :) review as well.

Unknown said...

Yeah, Al Pacino's performace was the highlight of that movie (atleast for me)...Didn't think much of Keanu Reaves though.

Unknown said...

What did you think of Scent of a Woman? Really well written character, and incredible performance from Pacino. Throw in Chris O'Donnell's career best show, and all in all, one heck of a movie.

Sudarsan said...

I concur with your opinion. Though he was not bestowed with an Academy award earlier, the jury decided “Better late than never” after his exemplary performance in Scent....

Keep it ticking