Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Flex the flexi timing

Whoa! So this is how it is when you reach office before 9 AM. How did I manage to do this? It has been 2 weeks since I decided to venture into this new territory and leave my goddamn principles behind (waking at 7… I am not kidding). The view is filled with vacant seats and I hear an occasional sound of somebody scurrying past my desk. Working hours across all offices are from 0900 to 1800 but not expected to be followed religiously. We call it flexible timings, time that suits us to come to office and that suits to return home irrespective of the work at hand.

It has been more than 4 years since I started working, or shall I say “I was employed”. Sorry for the wisecrack and I assure you I would refrain from making any smartass comments further. I used to step into office at around 1100; a switch to a different company in between (after 3 years) didn’t make any impact. I usually go out for lunch with few friends of mine and have a long chat after that in the lawn within our office premises. It was during one of those chat sessions, one among them voiced out his opinion that we should make a habit of being in office between 0900 and 1800 not more not less. He further added that it augers well for a work/life balance. I initially had an apprehension to this but saw others agree to his view. It took me 2 more weeks to implement and I felt good about this. I had always left home late because I didn’t have much to do at home. But now, I get few new books and have started reading them. I even get some time to catch up with a cousin of mine in the evenings for a snack chat.

This self imposed work timings though are to our convenience now, would definitely hinder us in a long run. Why can’t we complete our work within the time and leave home to spend some time with our family (or friends if not staying with family). Of course, there could be some exceptions when you have to stay back for a release or for a production support but definitely should not be accommodated in your routine.

14 comments:

NaveenChander said...

Good One of all. Way to go buddy..

ashwini said...

I remember Sudarshan,long coffee breaks,long lunch breaks :)...Good that u have displined yourself so much...Good thought..keep it up!

Anonymous said...

This shows that you do not have much work to do... i have taken a note of it....










Just Kidding... Way to go!

Sudarsan said...

let us see how long i put up with this act.

Anonymous said...

I hope you aren't working your way to a married life.. He he... Wake up cook, feed your wife, come home and cook dinner...

On the serious not, I owe you a plate of fries.

You know who I am...

Anonymous said...

and please change yr clock settings...

Sudarsan said...

Bajju, C'mon.. you dont have to maintain anonymity...

Jinguchakka said...

What are those new books da?

Prasanna said...

height of vettiness - revealed!!!!

Sudarsan said...

vaada nallavanae.....uyirodathan irukkiya

Unknown said...

Mr Double Integral,

Hmmm. All these 'sticking-to-office' time will be good if there are no work at office :)

Once you have work, you will have to stick to the morning office hour, but need to leave AFTER office hour.

After all, its IT industry. Cant help much :D

Machi, remove this word verification while commenting da.

Sudarsan said...

Done

Badri said...

I do not think u have become regular in comin at 9 in the morn...Anyways, i feel its the work that counts, not the timings and hours of work.

BTW, machi english slang lam weighta use panirukkel...nasam!!

Badri said...

soori vetti pola!!!!!!velaya paruda

Keep it ticking